Monday, April 21, 2008

MINI TSUNAMIS- A TERROR INDEED!!
When most days in a disorganized person’s life are disastrous, one normal day can give the person involved, a feeling of impending doom. That is the lesson fate advocated to me on the eve of 27th feb,2008, a Wednesday- a truly unforgettable day in my life. My day surprisingly started off well. I made it into the living room in the morning without walking into the wall even once , albeit, I was in a sleep deprived state. There was even water left in my tap, considering that I had sauntered into the toilet at 11.30 a.m. and reside in an apartment with the most irritating bunch of early birds one could ever combat.

After gobbling down the sumptuous meal set before me, I sat down to study(yes, study. My board exams were just around the corner). It would be optimistic to the point of foolishness to suggest that I would still be whiling away my precious yet extremely boring study hols even at this juncture. As 12.30 became 5.30, I decided that I had studied long enough (with just a few dozen breaks in between), when the phone rang. It was a friend. She too had thought along the same lines as I had. A lengthy conversation ensued in which we were catching up on how life would be after the board exams, how we could let our hair down at college, what Mrs. Next Door was doing and so on. A good one hour later, when the conversation had finally ended (admittedly after both our mothers had screamed themselves hoarse with many threats of having the phone disconnected), i went back to the hall to put the phone back in its place of honor.

The sight that met my eyes chilled me completely (and I mean, literally chilled me). I was standing in the midst of a mini tsunami- the hall was flooded with water. The bedroom was no better. Little waves of water were forming every time the water came in contact with the wall. It was a catastrophe!! Willing myself not to loose my wits, though not succeeding at it, I located the source of our mini lagoon. The tube connecting the washing machine to the wash area had broken loose, and the horrendous result-a hall with a dirty, soapy, tsunamic scenario. Cursing eloquently under my breath, I helped my mother clean up the watery mess. The servant maid too had absconded to add to my disgust. By the time I was finished, bones which I didn’t know existed in my body were screaming for mercy. The hall resembled the ‘AKSHAYAPATRA’ from the Mahabharata which would give food and water until everyone had had their fill and it was asked to stop. Only, in the case of the hall, the water flow didn’t come close to stopping let alone slowing down.

After what seemed like years(it might have been several hours), I finally had the courage to put my leg on the floor. The water had finally dried up- every inch of it. I heaved a sigh of relief and flopped onto bed.

To this day, even a small puddle of water in any part of my house greatly alarms me and has me wiping it dry with a vengeance until I am quite reassured that no mini tsunami would reappear in any part of my house.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

english pundit,u rock :) amazing work, amazing command over the language. keep rocking mads :)

Ace said...

Good blog and posts written with wit ..
Nice work